beetroot, green bean and asparagus salad
In many people's minds a salad is a boring thing that they have to eat. It often consists of iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and maybe some red onion if you're lucky!
Salads don't have to be that way! They can be exciting, flavoursome and there are loads of different ingredients that can go into a salad other than green veg - you can mix, match and experiment to your hearts content - in the meantime, this one is a good place to start.
Beetroot - 3 small
Green beans - 1 large handful
Asparagus - 6-10 spears
Cottage/Goat's cheese - 50-100g (optional)
- If using raw beetroot then roast in oven for 1 hour or so until tender (scrub well and cover with foil)
- Steam green beans for 10-15 minutes
- Steam (10 minutes) or griddle (5 minutes) asparagus
- Drain green beans and asparagus (if steamed) and remove skin from cooked beetroot
- Slice beetroot into small chunks
- Leave everything to cool slightly
- Mix all ingredients and if using cheese crumble this over
- Drizzle over olive oil
- When cool, put in fridge and leave until required
Download the accompanying PDF below for tips and variations.