Made by men for men, this salad laughs at the myth that salads are for girls.
(Note: women can eat it too!)
In many people's minds a salad is a boring thing that they have to eat. It often consists of iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and maybe some red onion if you're lucky!
Salads don't have to be that way! They can be exciting, flavoursome and there are loads of different ingredients that can go into a salad other than green veg - you can mix, match and experiment until your hearts content - in the meantime, this one is a good place to start.
- Choice of salad leaves
- Rocket - 1 small handful per person
- Onion - 1 small
- Cucumber - ½ small
- Carrot - 1 small
- Red pepper - 1
- Pistachios - 1 small handful
- Spring onion - 1
- Feta/Goat's/Cottage cheese - amount to taste
- Peas/petit pois - 200g
- Pearl barley or quinoa - 1 cup (optional)
- Olive oil
- Sweet chilli sauce - ½ tbsp per person
- Cook pearl barley/quinoa according to packet and allow to cool (if using)
- Cook peas/petit pois according to packet and allow to cool
- Slice onion, spring onion, red pepper and salad leaves
- Slice cucumber and halve into semi-circles
- Add all to a bowl and mix
- Add rocket leaves
- Grate in carrot
- Roughly chop pistachios and sprinkle over
- Roughly chop cheese into small chunks and crumble over
- Mix to combine
- Add a drizzle of olive oil and a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce
Download the PDF below for tips and variations.