41 Benefits of Exercise
Convenience - most of us are lucky enough to be able to take it for granted. But there's a down side to ordering our shopping online, taking the bus or driving, meeting friends on skype. We're not moving enough and it's having a major impact on our health. And not in a good way.
Our sedentary lifestyle is contributing to a host of chronic diseases in increasingly younger people. If you're not already experiencing the benefits of regular exercise, it can be hard to get going. We've put together this list to inspire you. 20 minutes a day is all it takes.
And the pay off is immense.
We think you should think of it like breathing - essential for life!
Lower your risk of chronic diseases and early death
- Lowers your risk of coronary heart disease and stroke (up to a 35%)
- Lowers your risk of type 2 diabetes (up to a 50%)
- Lowers your risk of colon cancer (up to a 50%)
- Lowers your risk of breast cancer (up to a 20%)
- Decreases the risk of heart and blood vessel diseases
- Lowers your risk of early death (by 30%)
Maintain better bone health
- Strengthens your skeleton
- Lowers your risk of osteoarthritis (up to an 83%)
- Lowers your risk of hip fracture (up to a 68%)
Make your body stronger
- Enlarges and strengthens your heart
- Increases the capacity of your lungs
- Improves your digestion
- Makes your metabolism more efficient
- Improves your coordination and balance
- Lowers the risk of falls among older adults (by 30%)
Boost your brainpower
- Lowers your risk of dementia (up to a 30%)
- Prevents cognitive decline.
- Sharpens memory.
- Improves sleep quality
- Slows the development of Alzheimer's disease
Improve your mood
- Lowers your risk of depression (up to a 30%)
- Reduces stress
- Boosts "happy" chemicals; endorphins, serotonin and dopamine
- Improves self-confidence
- Alleviates anxiety
- Increases relaxation
Protect your brain
- Increases the production of nerve-protecting compounds
- Improves development and survival of neurons
- Helps control addiction.
Do better at work
- Improves time management (up to 72%)
- Improves concentration
- Improves mental and interpersonal performance (up to 79%)
- Manage your workload better (up to 74%)
- Feel more motivated to work
- Gives you more chances to enjoy the great outdoors, which is also great for your mental health
- Gives you more chances to make new friends
- You can get involved in good causes by doing charity events